The Teamsters Local 251 Retirees Chapter was organized in 1988 by Peter Verrengia, a retiree from Lombard Brothers. After 6 months of preparing gathered information, Mr. Verrengia contacted the International Brotherhood of Teamsters to obtain a Charter. Mr. Verrengia contacted Local 251 retirees by mail informing them that a meeting would be held in April of 1988 with Mr. Norman Green, Director of Retiree Affairs for the International to present the Teamsters Local 251 Retirees Chapter their Charter and swear in Mr. Verrengia as the first President. Membership cards were signed and dues were paid by 990 Local 251 retirees. Mr. Verrengia retired as President in 1990.
The objectives of the Retirees Chapter are to form a united front for the preservation of the ideals of trade unionism; to protect, preserve and improve the social and economic status of teamster retirees; to create a closer fellowship among all retired teamsters; and to safeguard, advance and promote the rights and interest of retirees by political, educational, and other community activities.
Meetings are held on the first Thursday, after the first Tuesday, at 10 a.m. except January and July & August. Dues are $20.00 per year.
We are in our 30th year of “Helping One Another for a Better Tomorrow.”
Any teamster retiree wishing to join this chapter may contact us at 401-438-5920 or come to the Teamsters Local 251 Union Hall Tuesdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The Local 251 Retirees Chapter offers many benefits to its members:
- An informative monthly newsletter is sent to all members.
- We have a Dental Discount Plan which offers members dental services at 40-50% off usual and customary prices.
- We also offer an Eye Care Plan by Davis where members pay one price for a complete eye examination and glasses.
- We give two (2) $500.00 scholarships each year to grandchildren of members.
- We hold food drives for the less fortunate for food banks in the state of Rhode Island.
- We run the Local 251 store. Offering American union made and printed clothing. Visit the store page by using the link on the home page.
You must be logged in to post a comment.