The Union Bargaining Committee has reached a tentative agreement on a 4-year contract that delivers $19 million in improvements for Teamster members at Rhode Island Hospital.
The latest contract bulletin summarizes some of the highlights of the proposed agreement. Members won all of these improvements and more because they stayed informed, involved and united.
Every Teamster at Rhode Island Hospital has the right to vote on the contract and to review all of the contract changes before they vote.
Local 251 will hold four contract briefings and contract votes on Saturday, March 28 at 8 a.m., noon, 4:30 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.
Voting will be held at the Union Hall on 121 Brightridge Avenue in East Providence.
During the contract briefings we will review all of the contract changes and answer your questions. Voting will be held at the conclusion of each contract briefing. Members must attend a contract briefing to vote.
We urge you and every member at the Hospital to attend the important contract briefings, to get answers to your questions, and to vote.
Contract highlights include:
- Wage Increases: The contract delivers $1.80 in wage increases and an increase in the shift differential. Full-time employees will get a $225 bonus upon contract ratification; part-time employees will get a $110 bonus.
- Retirement Security: For the first time, your retirement will be guaranteed in the contract and protected from any cuts or changes. Lifespan will increase the money it puts into your Core Retirement Plan as your wages increase.
- Job Security: All employees who have three years of seniority cannot be laid off. Going forward, every employee will be protected from layoffs when they reach five years of seniority.
- Subcontracting Protection: If you have to bump into a new position because of subcontracting, your pay rate will be protected.
- Seniority Rights Under Epic: Members will retain all of their contract rights during the Epic implementation, including bumping rights and No Layoff protections.
- No Givebacks. In a sharp break with the past, the proposed contract makes no givebacks. We protected healthcare, longevity pay, double overtime, our rights under Epic and more.