Local 251 members at YRCW and New Penn voted to approve a new 5-year contract that raises wages, restores a week of vacation and protects benefits.
YRCW and New Penn workers are struggling to reverse concessions after bad business decisions and mismanagement put YRCW on the verge of bankruptcy.
Improvements won in this contract include:
- $4.00 in wage increases over five years for the vast majority of workers (an 18% increase for most drivers and dockworkers).
- The highest pension contributions in the country, totalling $1.25 over the life of the contract.
- Significant increases for dock-only, clerical, maintenance employees, janitors and porters hired after February 2014.
- Restoration of the week of vacation that was given up years ago, effective April 1, 2019.
- Protection of health and welfare benefits with no employee premium co-pays.
- Improved language to curb excessive executive bonuses.
- Prohibitions against using driverless trucks.